Thursday, June 20, 2024

My Journey To Becoming A Fully Certified Teacher



Before I came to Guam in late 2016, I had been working in the Middle East for more than a decade as a Chemical Engineer. Throughout my career, I worked in the manufacturing industry, both in the Philippines and the Middle East. Upon arriving in Guam, I realized there were no industrial plants where I could apply my expertise, particularly in metal surface treatment and painting. After several months of searching for a job that matched my experience, I ended up working as a Front Desk staff at a hotel. This was a challenging shift in my career, as I had no prior experience in the hospitality field.

When the Covid-19 pandemic struck in mid-2020, the influx of hotel guests dropped, and eventually, the hotel closed. I was fortunate to avail myself of the pandemic employment subsidy provided by the government. When the GDOE announced a Job Fair sometime in June 2021, I tried my luck and applied to be a Substitute Teacher, marking the beginning of my journey as a teacher.

One of the challenges I encountered during my year as a substitute teacher was being in different classrooms and subjects every day. I experienced being in front of all grade levels, overseeing and executing the assignments left by the absent teachers. During this time, I observed various student behaviors. The teachers I met encouraged me to take the Praxis Core exams to apply for a temporary teaching certificate. This encouragement, along with my observations in school, led me to believe that I could teach. I took the exams and was fortunate to obtain the temporary certification. Subsequently, I took and passed the content area exam in science. Unaware of the next steps for teacher certification, I hurried to the Guam Education Certification Commission (GECC) to present my Praxis content results- an amusing experience in hindsight. It was only then that I learned I needed to complete the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) course to become fully certified.

I followed the GECC’s suggestions. At this moment, I have nearly completed 27 of the 36 credit units required for the MAT. The MAT program has provided me with valuable insights into classroom management and strategies, various educational philosophies and theories, assessment methods, and has especially helped me become tech-savvy. Being more literate in modern technology has had a significant impact on my teaching career. I can utilize all the knowledge and strategies I have learned in the program to continuously enhance my students’ learning experiences this coming school year, and eventually in the years to come.


2 comments:

My Journey To Becoming A Fully Certified Teacher

Before I came to Guam in late 2016, I had been working in the Middle East for more than a decade as a Chemical Engineer. Throughout my caree...